| Dick Cheney--
- --Born in Lincoln, NE January 30, 1941.
- --Married former Lynne Ann Vincent, 1964.
- --Two children: Elizabeth, Mary
- --Member, United Methodist Church.
- --B.A., University of Wyoming, 1965.
- --M.A., University of Wyoming, 1966.
- --Ph.D., Candidate, University of Wyoming, 1968.
- --Financial consultant, Bradley, Woods & Co.
- --Congressional Fellow, 1968-69.
- --Special Assistant to the Director of Office of Economic Opportunity, 1969-70.
- --White House Staff Assistant, 1971.
- --Assistant Director, Cost of Living Council, 1971-73.
- --Deputy Assistant to the President, 1974-75.
- --White House Chief of Staff, 1975-76.
- --Elected to the House, 96th Congress, November 7, 1978.
- --Chairman, House Republican Policy Committee, 1980-87.
- --Chairman, House Republican Conference, 1987.
- --House Minority Whip, Republican Party, 1988.
- --Resigned House on March 17,1989.
- --Secretary of Defense, 1989-present.
*Selected as a compromise appointment after the defeat of John Tower for Defense Secretary, Cheney is a well-respected and well-liked by his former colleagues in the Congress. He has run the Pentagon in a no-nonsense way and canceled several major weapons programs due to cost overruns and mismanagement. As Secretary of Defense, he oversaw the day-to-day operations of the war and keep in daily contact with the President to report the status of the battles.
With a resume second only to President Bush's, many suspected Cheney to be considered for as a possible Presidential candidate in 1996. However, many pointed out before the war that Cheney has had several heart operations and that he may not be physically capable of serving as President. His performance in Operation Desert Storm should prove many of these critics wrong.
Cheney is now given the difficult task of ensuring the security of the region while trimming back the size of the U.S. military worldwide. In the most recent budget request, the military takes a large reduction in personnel and material. There are some who fear another Operation Desert Storm would be impossible with the smaller forces proposed in this new budget plan and will demand the military reassess the post-cold war world in light of operations like Desert Storm. If Cheney is able to restructure the forces effectively, he will be remembered as one of the more important Secretary's of Defense in recent history.
Shop for other Gulf War Products
Other Gulf War Books and Videos
Aircraft Pins and Flight Jackets and other military supplies.
Search for Other Gulf War Items